Friday, May 16, 2014

"Skinny Love"

I was listening to my playlist. Few people knew that I really love mellow and sad songs because of their depth of lyrics and sense of words.

One particular song that hit me, is entitled, "Skinny Love" (2008). It's first version is from Bon Iver in which the melody is somewhat jolly but the lyrics are full of sadness and irony.

"Skinny Love" has been covered by Birdy this 2014. However, I find the first version better than Birdy's cover. Ed Sheeran also made a cover of this sad yet amazing song.

"Skinny Love" is a song about two people who think they are in love, however one of them recognizes that that love is destructive, malnourished for both of them are in a relationship for a sake of having one. Maybe the reasons are for lust, or desperate pressure that one must be in a relationship.

I find the song beautifully ironic. (Seems so, because I have an ultimate bias to sad yet beautiful melodious songs).

The chorus:

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be kind
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be right....

What's more beautiful is, the lyricist of this song, Justine Vernon quoted that the song is dedicated to Bon Iver's ex, "Emma".

Wow, It is ironic and funny how one's exes can give inspiration to make a beautiful song. Seems like the great writers and musicians are either loveless or brokenhearted.



No comments: